Non-degree positions starting at $10.00 per hour
Working under the direct supervision of the Lead Teacher, and Lead Teaching Assistant (LTA), the position of Teacher Assistant (TA) provides support for individuals transitioning to and from the classroom environment as well as predominately providing support during the school day. A teacher assistant may provide support in the home environment during the school day in the case of a scheduled home day, or if the student assigned is ill or not able to come to school for any other reason. In addition, the teacher assistant (TA) will work indirectly under the supervision of the Assistant Coordinator of Educational Services (ACES) and the Coordinator of Educational Services (CES). The duties of the Teacher Assistant (TA) includes but is not limited to:
* working one on one with students in the classroom environment
* running teaching trials of educational goals as outlined in each student’s individual plan
* working cooperatively with other teacher assistants and supervisors during the shift as well as residential instructors and overnight staff during shift changes
- Helping students with hygiene and self-care tasks and accompanying them to all activities during the school day
- o Some days may include doctor appointments, or field trips
- participating in all in-service training required to work with the students most effectively
- when school is closed (holiday/home day) report to group homes if scheduled to work.
- implementing crisis management procedures, to include, but not limited to: lifting and lowering individuals to and from the floor, standing from kneeling position and dropping to kneeling position while physically controlling an individual, blocking attempted hits, kicks, and bites, transporting individuals in crisis state, and deflecting hits from thrown objects
- cleaning the home: sweeping, mopping, organizing, and other tasks to maintain an orderly home
- completing written and verbal documentation for students including: information about teaching trials, meals, incidents, toileting, etc.
- Any other duties determined by a supervisor to be necessary to ensure the care, welfare, safety, and security of the students
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:10 am-2:45 pm
Qualifications: High school diploma, Able to lift and lower over 40 pounds, Clean background checks and drug screen, able to kneel from a standing position, good driving record preferred
Salary & Benefits: starting at $10.00 per hr, negotiable with experience & education *pay will be changed to higher rate on the date that an official transcript is received and be applied for the current pay period forward*, subject to weekend pay differential; school pays 50% toward monthly health insurance premium for individual plan; 24 Annual Leave days after 90 day probationary period; school provides $100,000 life insurance policy on health plan participants
Tags: Care, special needs, intellectual disabilities, direct care, competitive benefits, advancement opportunities, special ed, disabilities, group home, behavior challenges, behavior modification, growth, full time, part time
The Learning Tree, Inc
Who we are?
- The Learning Tree, Inc. has been providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities in Alabama for over 30 years
- Starting as a single group home, The Learning Tree has grown into an agency serving over 600 children and adults in Alabama
- Our programs include early intervention preschools, residential programs, education services, and school consultation
What we offer?
- Competitive salary
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance
- Employer matching retirement plan
- Liberal leave package
Company Website: learning-tree.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)